The purposes of the Council are:
- To promote and represent the interests of its member associations that together represent the United States jewelry business, both in the United States and internationally;
- To maintain and enhance consumer confidence in the United States in the integrity and origins of jewelry;
- To promote responsible business ethics and practices through cooperation between the Council's members and through engagement with key stakeholders;
- To coordinate information sharing, action plan development, PR responses, website development on all aspects of the U.S. diamond and jewelry industry that have ethical dimensions among the members; such as human rights, conflict minerals, ethical sourcing, artisanal mining and environmental malpractice; and
- To carry on any trade or business, to engage in any activity and to do all other things as are conducive, directly or indirectly, to the attainment of the above mentioned purposes.